Find out what early civilisations used licorice for
- The Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Assyrians, Babylonians and the ancient Chinese all used liquorice as a flavouring and a medicine.
- In ancient China, liquorice was believed to give strength, prolong life and has been attributed to having divine powers of healing.
- In Egypt the Pharaohs used liquorice to create a traditional drink called erqesos, which was consumed as a healing tonic.
- Ancient Greek and Roman Sweets included nougat and liquorice.
- In the Buddhist religion, an infusion of liquorice root is used in the ceremony of bathing the statue of the Buddha on the morning of his birthday.
- Brahma, the Hindu god praised liquorice as a ‘General tonic, cosmetic and elixir of life”